Sunday, December 14, 2008

Thank god for the misery of others

I wanted to jump off a bridge yesterday, then chose not to. Why? Because unlike people who watch 'Grey's Anatomy', I still have something to live for. And I'm not talking about sex, tasty food or any of those other leftist joys that are supposed to make your existence bearable. I'm talking about the suffering of people who aren't me. Not only is it a great help to put one's own malaise into perspective - it's also usually a good laugh.

So when I witness someone being beaten up on the street, I don't come rushing to assist them. I incite the assailants. From a distance. Unfortunately, Vienna is a rather safe megalopolis, so I am denied even this simple joy all too often. It really makes you want to jump off bridges.

I also enjoy visiting people in hospitals. I may not have a girlfriend, but you have lung cancer! And unlike involuntary celibacy, it's terminal!

So everytime bad things happen to good people (or to bad people - who am I to care?), I mutter a thankful prayer. Or maybe I just stop cursing inwardly for a second. It's not about poetic justice. It's not about tit for tat. It's about poetic capital punishment and tit for getting struck in the face with a pipe wrench. And everytime someone gets struck in the face with a pipe wrench - metaphorically or not - I cheer up a bit.

No comments: